-->

Type something and hit enter

By On
advertise here
 Interview - Louis Gossett, Jr. -2

[This interview took place in 1986.]

When Louis Gossett Jr. was a teacher at New York University, he had no idea that life was waiting for him. Balancing pre-media classes, drama studies and basketball, he excelled in each. When the New York Knicks invited the 6th State Committee to his training camp in 1958, it quickly became a decision-making time for the young athlete.

“I was a professional actor at the age of fourteen,” explains Gossett. “I also received the Golden Boy with Sammy Davis Jr. the same year I made the Knicks. It was my choice. ”

Any choice. Since then, he has received excellent critical and popular recognition both on stage and on screen. He received an Emmy Award for his unforgettable image of Fiddler in Roots and the Oscar for Sergeant Foley’s Officer and gentleman ,

Gossett is currently in an enviable position, having at the same time two main films: Enemy and Iron eagle , Enemy This is a Christmas release about a fighter pilot and Drak aliens who graze on a barren planet and must work together to survive. Gossett plays Drac, opposite Dennis Quaid.

"For Enemy - says Gossett, - I was responsible for reducing this alien character from scratch. Every day I went to the zoo and chose several different animaz to study: a lizard, a cat, an ostrich, a kangaroo - and, of course, there was a little Stevie Wonder. "

For a part of the reptilian being, Gossett had to do his theatrical classes under a thick layer of makeup and latex. "It was the hardest thing I had to do." He laughs a little at memory. “For all my years in business I have never been afraid of difficulties. I practiced reptilian movements all the time. ”

But the hoarse, singing song dialect used for the character has a completely different origin. "This vocal, guttural thing happened since childhood." I have been making these noises for years, although now I had the opportunity to apply them. "

Gossett was not the only one who had difficulties. All products were almost scratched before it ever got off the ground. Only an expensive change of directors saved the picture from an early trip to the cemetery in Hollywood.

“Richard Longkraine, who was originally responsible for him, was a brilliant director. He got into trouble early and was released in the studio. Dennis Quaid and I were paid a year and a half with a salary until production began under the direction of Wolfgang Petersen. ”

Despite the well-known problems of the film, Gossett notes that he is completely satisfied with the results. “I think the film was very good,” he suggests, “but I can still agree with some critics. It looked like two different films.

Gossett also had an experience that few, if any, his collections may require: his character, hermaphrodite, gives birth. “It was very, very difficult. I have nothing to do except a sick stomach.

As for the performance with Dennis Quaid in their second film together: “We promised each other to redeem ourselves after Jaws 3-D ".

In another Gossett film, Iron eagle He plays a retired colonel of the Air Force, who teams up with a young child to save the child’s father from Middle Eastern terrorists.

Considering america [then-] current relations with Libya, some people may try to read some kind of public message from Iron eagle Insolent patriotism. Gossett asks for different. “If the message was there, it happened after that, because because we knew little about this situation when we were filming.

Gossett says that he chose this special role because “this time I play the role of a real hero.

Growing up in Brooklyn, Gossett learned Spanish, as well as English, a certain asset when working with international crews. “Yes, I grew up in Brooklyn, I had a language transplant and passport, and left there,” he says, although New York is still at home.

“You really know that you did it in New York when these stubborn taxi drivers and bus drivers stop and ask for your autograph. Central Park. I get to Fifteenth Street, and the whole bus of people gets out for autographs. Then the taxi driver jumps out with his fares and starts the traffic jam. Then the police finally come to see what the problem is. But they didn’t clarify the movement - they had to get autographs first!

"This is a house."

Gossett does not like to play favorites, but of all his roles, one is separated from the rest. "My favorite movie was Sadat , My favorite hero was Sadat. But otherwise I take things one movie at a time.

For example, this was the first thing that happened in the morning, and we did two death scenes in a row — my (Sadat) brother and best friend. one take, but I do not remember how they did it. It seems that Sadat came and took over.

"I remember the night when Maria Shriver was on the set Entertainment Tonight , It was cold; it was the last day of shooting; everyone was waiting to return home. This was the scene where Sadat walked up the stairs to Israel. I had a lot of goose pimples, because down below were actresses who looked just like Golda Meir and an actor who looked just like Begin. A strange feeling ever, shaking hands and speaking these historical lines.

“Sadat goes to Golda Meir and says:“ I really wanted to meet you for a long time. "And Golda Meir says:" So what have you been waiting for? "This is something that I will never forget."

Gossett recently received an addition to his family - his adopted son. "There was a particular interest Morning of America about hungry and homeless children in America. I did not know that they are millions. -year-old baby, Sharon Anthony Jones, and she set the microphone in front of her. said: "I want something to eat. Some place to sleep.

"And now he is in my house."

Although Gossett is not expecting more street children, he continues to work on their behalf.

“This is a whole movement,” he explains, “to get all these children out of the street to see that they have food, education, health, and shelter.” One arches in Arizona is available for ranches. are still at the planning stage, but there is sufficient financial support to meet our current needs. ”

After his success, there are still ambitions that he has not yet fulfilled. Says Gossett: "I wish I could work with Brando, you have to do."

In his free time, he also writes a little. "Yes, I wrote a treatment for Officer and Gentleman II called foley , Richard Gere will make a small cameo.

As for the near future: “I am exhausted, I leave, disappear for a while. No phone calls, you can not find me until I return. I need a vacation".




 Interview - Louis Gossett, Jr. -2


 Interview - Louis Gossett, Jr. -2

Click to comment