-->

Type something and hit enter

By On
advertise here
 7 reasons to buy your food locally -2

One of my “lucky places” is the Minneapolis farm farm. I like fresh foods that change throughout the season, fresh cut flowers for my table, frozen wild salmon from Alaska from Wild Run Salmon, flour from Sunrise Flour Mill and fresh cooked products from Spoon River or Chef Shack. Smells, aromas and people all visit the market one of my favorite things that can be done on a summer Saturday morning.

Not only delicious food, but I also appreciate the opportunity to buy from local farmers and sellers. There are several reasons why this benefits my family and local community as well as me.

The benefits of on-site shopping

1. Fare The cost of fuel for transporting products from around the world to my local grocer is wonderful. One of the main factors affecting the cost of transportation is the cost of food, and therefore buying locally can save money on my grocery bill.

2 Environmental impact , Not only transport costs money, but also creates pollution. Vehicles used to transport food products depend on fossil fuels for energy, emitting greenhouse gases - a contribution to climate change.

3 Meals in season Historically, we had no choice but to eat fresh food this season. Today we have access to many options 12 months a year. For our taste preferences this is of great benefit. But I like the idea of ​​going back to food for the seasons. Seasonal food makes you have more variety in your diet and allows you to increase the nutrient content when consumption can occur close to harvest time.

4. Community economy Buying from local farmers helps financially support farmers and their families, which also helps support my local economy.

5. Knowing where the food comes from When I buy directly from a farmer, I can learn about their farming methods. Some farmers may use sustainable and organic farming methods, but may not have the financial ability to become certified organic. By talking to them, I can find out how they grow food and understand what I really buy.

6 food security I want food to grow in my area, so there will always be food in my area. By supporting local farmers, I increase the likelihood that they will remain for many years to come.

7 Farmer's market is a happy place. If you have not experienced the joys of your local farmer's market, you should try. There is no comparison with the experience of being outdoors when your neighbors buy fresh produce. For some food purchases I need to be indoors in a luminous lighted store may be necessary, but the more I can enjoy the farmer's market, the happier I will be.

Local Farmer Market Search

1. The Minnesota Grown is an online resource for finding local farmers markets in Minnesota.

2. FarmStand - the app to find the nearest farmers markets when you are on the go.

3. The USDA website is a national farmers market.

Talk to your local farmer to find out where and how your food is grown. I know that it will nourish your body, and I believe that it will also support your spirit.

Happy shopping!




 7 reasons to buy your food locally -2


 7 reasons to buy your food locally -2

Click to comment